Delicious Homemade Chicken Stock – the best ever
This delicious chicken stock is easy to make and has tremendous health benefits. Use it in place of water for rice and 50/50 with milk for sauces & mashed potatoes.
It will keep 2-3 days in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer. I highly recommend fresh herbs but if they are not available dried will do – just remember dried herbs have a stronger taste.
Yields approx. 5 liters (5.2 quarts)
This is my homemade chicken stock. I haven’t altered the recipe in years because family and friends have told me it’s perfect!
- 2k Chicken (approx. 4.5lb) (whole or pieces, but must have bones)
- 5 Liters (5.2 quarts) water
- 300g (3 cups) Celery (thickly chopped and include some leaves)
- 400g (3 cups) Carrot (unpeeled, halved lengthwise and roughly chopped)
- 300g (2 ½ cups) Onion (yellow, peeled, roughly chopped)
- 2 large Bay Leaf
- 4g (2-3 large sprigs) Parsley (with stems)
- 2g (2 large sprigs) Thyme (with stems)
- 3g (3 small sprigs) Rosemary (with stems)
- 10 whole Black Peppercorns
Place the chicken into a large pot and cover with very hot water. Drain.
Add all ingredients to the pot. Gently bring to a simmer, skimming any froth that forms. Simmer partially covered for 2 hours. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Strain through fine strainer (you can use muslin/cheesecloth if you like but I prefer the little bits of herbs left in the stock). Refrigerate while very warm, use immediately or freeze.
Jim’s Tip: Since there is no salt used and the carrots will be very soft when cooked they are easily smashed/pureed into healthy and pure baby food. Use the chicken meat for sandwiches, chicken salad or chicken-ala-king.