A heartwarming chicken soup great for a winter’s night.
Instead of Barley you could use Buckwheat Groats, Kashsa, Quinoa or Millet – and if you can find fresh corn and peas by all means us them. A wonderful choice for a winter evening. Serve with fresh Baguette or other crusty bread for a filling meal. Note – most of my recipes are very light in salt. While personally I am a salt lover, I used to sometimes oversalt for some palates. So I changed to a low salt level in my cooking and giving the option of adding salt to the consumer. After all, we know there is too much salt and sugar in the average diet.
Yields approx. 2.5 liters (2.6 quarts)
- 2 Litres (8.5 cups) chicken stock
- 200g (1 1/2 cups) roughly chopped carrot
- 100g (1 cup) sliced celery
- 100g (1 cup) chopped yellow onion
- 100g (3/4 cup) frozen peas
- 100g (3/4 cup) frozen corn
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp All Purpose Seasoning
- 100g barley (rinse before adding to pot)
- 200g pulled cooked chicken (2 cups)
Put all except chicken in a pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered 1 hour. Add chicken and simmer until chicken is hot. Remove bay leaf and serve.