Saving water is a good thing.
While water doesn’t cost much in many places the principle of conserving this most precious of resources is a sound one. I have a few tips.
One of the times I feel I’m wasting water is when I want to do dishes and I let the tap run until the water is hot. I realized there are things I can do with that water until it becomes the temperature I want. Some examples are:
- Fill your water jug.
- Fill any drinking bottles you may use
- Fill a jug for watering plants
- Rinse vegetables you will be using when cooking later or before storing
- Wet any rags you plan to use soon, or to pre-soak clothes before washing
- Rinse any dishes of bulk material to make washing easier
A couple other little things:
- Turn off the tap while brushing your teeth. Once you’ve wet the brush and are actively brushing there is no need to let the tap run.
- Catch rain water (if you don’t already have tanks). A simple bottle/jug with a funnel will catch more than you think in a decent rain -great for your indoor plants.